SGS via its wholly owned subsidiary, Gearhart, rented Redback roller reamers and supplied the consumables and expertise to support the drilling operations.
- Burren had previously conventionally drilled the 12 ¼” hole Section with 3 off stabilizers in the drilling assembly which resulted in high torque, incidence of stuck drill string, top drive damage, bending of the drill pipe and significant loss of time.
- After consulting Redback Engineering Staff, decision was taken to replace the 3 off stabilizers with 3 off Redback Roller Reamers.
- The use of Redback Roller Reamers (RRR) achieved a significant decrease in the drilling torque & drag, and resulted in the drilling of the 12 ¼” hole section with a higher rate of penetration (ROP) compared to adjacent wells and a saving of more than $ 65,000. By way of improved well bore wall profile, there were further indirect savings through the reduction of casing & logging running times.
- The 8 ½” section was planned using 3 off Redback Roller Reamers to overcome and reduce the expected torque & drag.
- Before reaching the well total depth, Burrendecided to carry out a Geological sidetrackhole using a Turbine Assembly.
- In the original hole, 4,500 ft was drilled with a Rotary BHA and RRRs, using 3 off drill bits and 391 drilling hrs compared to the sidetracked hole where 4,350 ft was drilled with a Turbine BHA using 7 off Bits and 656 drilling hrs.
- Upon comparing the original hole to the sidetrack hole, Redback directly saved more than $ 530,000 by drilling the original hole with lower torque, drag and higher ROP which saved 265 drilling Hrs. These were very significant savings for a land drilling operation.
- TARGETS / OBJECTIVES
It was planned that the Redback roller reamers would reduce torque, drag and vibration by way of placement close to the bit and in another two different positions along the drill string for further stabilization. This arrangement was particularly important as drilling conditions were to be tough with long bit runs – the more effective the Redback tool, the better the drill bit would perform.
BENEFITS / RESULTS
The customer achieved the record drilling performance ,saving both Time & Money
The East Kanayis project in Egypt is one of the Western Desert’s integrated oil and gas projects expected to prove the oil reserves in Egypt and lead to increasing Egyptian production with globally high oil demand.
REDBACK DRILLING TOOLS
The Redback Roller Reamers are ideally suited to the improvement of Bit & BHA performance. Their ability to reduce torque, drag and vibration contributes significantly to the extension of life and increased reliability of more expensive drilling components, all in all improving drilling efficiency and reducing operating costs.
With runs of over 500 hours, 9,000 ft of tough hard formations were drilled with the ‘Redback’ in the assembly The wear on the consumable components of the tool, the cutters, was severe but the drilling assembly was tripped without failure from the well.
Our engineering team was on hand immediately to assist the client drilling team and report on the condition of and impact on drilling equipment and performance benefits and to assist planning the next well.